Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It Rained Yesterday!

For someone who spends most of his free time outside, I've never been a big fan of the rain. When I was playing sports, the rain usually meant no game, or it made playing more difficult. Also, if there's the potential for lightning, the last thing I want to be holding is an aluminum bat or a golf club!
Yesterday, I saw for the first time in over 80 days some rain, albeit briefly. I had just completed my 45 minute Operations Order (OPORD) for conducting the CRO and God said "Let there be rain." Unfortunately, I wasn't really able to enjoy any of it, as I was meeting with the SCO, who was in attendance to "critique" my organizational structure. However, when I went outside I could see the remnants of what looked to be a 3-5 minute downpour. About the only thing it did was compact all the dirt on the ground and cool the temperature off a few degrees, but at least it brought a smile to my face.
So many times I've taken the rain for granted, just wished it away so that I could carry on with my day. Yet, I have come to miss those rainy days, when all you want to do is lay around the house and relax, or possibly even sit out on the porch and just listen to the calm, soothing sound of it hitting the roof. I doubt I will ever look at the rain in the same way after this whole experience.
Take care....and enjoy the rain!

No comments: