Friday, September 5, 2008

Gettin' My Swole On

Physical fitness is a trait I acquired a very young age. Playing three or four sports a year made it very easy for me to maintain an active lifestyle; yet, I wasn't much of a weight-lifter in high school. I graduated at a whopping 169lbs in '98, but was quickly introduced to the rigors of being a collegiate athlete. In roughly a year, I had put on about 30 pounds and developed what my wife likes to call "fat neck."
Unfortunately, those glory days are gone, along with my high metabolism, and keeping up my physical stamina has become somewhat of an arduous task. The Army has certain physical standards that all soldiers must adhere to, and thankfully we have a fitness center that enables us to do so. Two gyms are within a short walking distance from my trailer; however, I have taken to working out in the late afternoon, so I come from the motor pool. Not minding the jog, I run from the motor pool to the gym, conduct my workout, then run back. Push-ups, sit-ups, and a two-mile run are the three components of the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT). However, doing only those three activities day in and day out would make even a routine-friendly guy like myself go crazy. Luckily, these gyms have the same variety of equipment one is likely to find anywhere in the States.
Not only is working out a requirement for Army personnel, it's almost become a favorite past time. You're likely to see both men and women pursuing their amateur body-building careers (I'm not joking) on a daily basis. You also have your social groups, who don't really come to workout, just to talk and look at members of the opposite sex. There's also this one guy that I love to watch workout. He listens to an ipod everyday, which I believe consists of only rap music, because he mouths the lyrics and makes hand gestures like he's in a video! Even better, he dances...in front of the mirror! In between songs, he also likes to look at his muscles and fix his hair. If you've ever set foot inside a gym, you know the kind of guy I'm describing. It's really quite entertaining!
In short, my gym, just like any other is full of its various stereotypes. It's a little annoying for someone like me, who just wants to work off that piece of cake I had a lunch before it settles into my spare tire; but, at the same time it kind of feels like home! Take care and enjoy the weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey- we're glad that you are working out since we are not. Keep hitting the weights, and I am sure you'll be able to give Chris a run for his money when you get back :) we miss you, and we're praying for you. hugs, chris & jj

Claire said...

HAHA! I think Matt will totally agree- he so does not love the body builder heros! Glad the facilities are decent though!