Friday, October 24, 2008

Crab Legs

I wasn't much of a seafood eater growing up. My mom's allergic to crab (bless her heart!) and dad had a bad experience with fish when he was a kid, so there wasn't much "meat from the sea" eaten at our house. We've always been more of a meat and three type of family; however things have started to change over the past few years.
The first time I lived in Maryland (summer of 2001 when I interned on Capitol Hill), I tried some crab and wasn't too impressed. It just seemed like a lot of work for such a small amount of food. That frame of mind has come and gone because now I can't get enough of it! When Les and I were in Maryland this past Winter and Spring, we ate so much crab that I'm almost convinced we single-handedly kept the Maryland Blue Crab industry in business! One time we had a crab pretzel, cream of crab soup, crab legs and a crab melt sandwich all in one meal!!! Man, that was a good day.
I'm mentioning all of this because I want to let you know that being over here isn't all that bad because every Wednesday night at my regular DFAC is Surf and Turf. Along with sirloin steaks, they serve crabcakes, shrimp, clams and crab legs. It's quite the "home away from home" feeling for me; however, this isn't something I've been able to take advantage of every week. Wednesday nights I go to a bible study, which is unfortunately at the chapel right next to another DFAC, and this one doesn't have Surf and Turf night. So, I've only been able to get my fill occasionally and instead been forced to eat dry chicken breast and overcooked vegetables. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining, as any food is better than no food at all; but indulging in crab legs does seem to make the pain of being away from friends and family just a little bit easier to bear, especially when it's free! It's definitely not Joe's Crab Shack or Red Lobster, but it certainly gives me that little taste of home to get me through the week.
Take care and I hope I didn't make you hungry!

No comments: