Wednesday, March 4, 2009

EQO

I believe I've mentioned in an earlier post that one of the many duties I've been assigned since returning to Post is that of the Environmental Quality Officer for the Squadron. The title alone is pretty self-explanatory, but I'm sure it's hard for many to believe that the Army even cares about the environment. Well, in some cases, it doesn't; but when it comes to CONUS installations, such as Fort Campbell, they are required to follow almost all federal regulatory policies regarding the environment.
This week I have been attending the EQO course that "certifies" soldiers to take on the responsibility of ensuring that their respective units are adherring to federal law. Moreover, we have been learning a lot about how all the various departments on the installation aid and assist in maintaining the proper procedures. For instance, you'd be surprised to know that Fort Campbell recycles its own water, solid waste, and the like. Because people, like me and the wife, live on post, there are several programs involved in providing us with the necessary amenities afforded to people who live off-post. These are things like, garbage pickup, recycling, water provision, etc. At least 1/4 of the over 25,000 people who work on this installation are in some way involved in these various services. While I could spend hours explaining all the different things that the Army does to help the environment, I won't bore you with the details. I just think it's good for you "civilians" to know that the military is doing its part in helping preserve Mother earth.
Have you hugged an environmentally conscious soldier lately???
HA!
Take care.

No comments: