Sunday, March 8, 2009

Following The Wild Heart


It was shortly after New Year's in 2007 that my close friend Wade bought me a book called "Wild At Heart" by John Eldredge. This book has not only altered my life, but more importantly, my way of thinking. I can point to it as somewhat of a catalyst for getting me to where I am today, for better or worse (but mainly for the better). What Eldredge has sought to do throughout his many writings is evoke the Godly characteristics of masculinity within each man that has been long suppressed by modern culture and society.

Rather than provide a redundant summation of our relationship, I'll point you to Wade's blog http://www.tnfodder.blogspot.com/, which encapsulates just how close we've become in our roughly four years of friendship. The only thing Wade failed to mention is how much older he is than me (8 years). However, if we were standing side by side, you'd think I was older than him!

If there are still any people out there who take the time to read my posts, I ask that you also make it a point to visit Wade's because over the next several weeks, the two of us will be posting our own personal thoughts and opinions on another one of Eldredge's books, "The Way of the Wild Heart." Somewhat of an addendum to his first publication on the subject, Eldredge provides a "map" for the masculine journey. Rather than providing a step by step process that so many other authors try to propose, this author seeks to give readers "a lay of the land" and let them determine the route.

Let there be no mistake, these books are not about trying to become more manly, as guys who like to hunt, fish, watch football and drink beer aren't necessary men. Each male is divinely infused with certain characteristics that can only be found in a man of God, and it's our responsility to seek them out, not only for ourselves, but for our friends and family.

If any of you out there are interested in reading these books or just learning more about the book, I strongly encourage you to periodically visit our blogs. Both Wade and I hope to grow deeper in our faith and friendship with each other, but also provide encouragement for every man our there who wants to find what their heart is longing for.

Stay tuned, the fun is about to begin!

1 comment:

[w] said...

Great intro! I forgot about that pic!! :) This is going to be fun!