Saturday, November 15, 2008

One Step Closer

Well, this morning the first half, actually it was about 75%, of our company departed Camp Liberty for Baghdad International Airport (BIAP). As much as I wish I could've been on THAT flight, at least I'm one step closer to going home. There are several variables at play when preparing for departure, and unfortunately most of those decisions rest in the hands of individuals who are not a part of our unit. So, they could care less when we leave!
As I sit here and reflect on my journey, the absence of those soldiers whom I've spent most of my time here with is deeply felt. It is interesting how you can see people all day everyday and not realize their presence in your life until they are gone. The tent we've been staying in for the past couple of weeks is now half empty, and much quieter. Although I will enjoy these aspects when I go to bed at night, having fewer faces to look at and voices to hear seems to make the days longer.
This is going to be a long week.
Take care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jesse, thanks for doing your part to protect our liberties, and to bring a small taste of freedom to a part of the world that doesn't quite know what to do with it yet.

Providence has missed you. I hope you get to come back to east Tennessee soon.

Godspeed, brother!