Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Last Minute Reflections

As of right now, we have a "soft time" for when we're supposed to depart. This simply means a tentative flight time, but it should turn into a "hard time" over the next several hours. While the exact time is still unknown, but could be within the next 24-36 hours (again, just a tentative timeline).
Much of my time over the past several days has consisted of watching movies, working out, a little reading and a fair amount of sleep. However, I find myself reflecting on what I've seen and experienced over the past several months. Although I wasn't here for the entire deployment, and showed up after the most intense fighting our Squadron has seen, I can still say that I came, I saw, and I actually got a t-shirt (that I had to pay for). I was able to experience some things that most other "Loggies" will never do. I went on the patrols with each of the 4 line units and got a sobering look at the realities of war. Some images will forever remain with me, for better or worse; but, most of all I have realized the importance of living life, regardless of the outcome. So far, I've made it through this deployment unscathed and have much to be thankful for. As I prepare to redeploy back to the States, just like those who have gone before me, a piece of me will remain here. It's tough to go to war and come back the EXACT same person you were before you left. I have changed, but I believe for the better.
Look forward to seeing many of you soon.

No comments: