Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Making History

By now you've all heard how historic this election is going to be, regardless of who wins. Either we're going to have the first African-American President or the oldest President ever elected. I'm sure that's not something Sen. McCain wants to hear, but it's tough to shake the reality of the situation. This election is also going to be historic in that we are GUARANTEED to see the first U.S. Senator elected President since JFK.
For those of you old enough to remember the 1960 election (sorry Mom and Dad), we're talking about a drought of almost 50 years! For those of you who know me (even just a little bit), it shouldn't come as a shock to you that I'm posting about the election, as election "handicapping" has practically become my new favorite past time. However, it might surprise you to know that I completely forgot we were about to elect a new President. With all the preparations of redeployment on the forefront of my mind, I have been so preoccupied that it never crossed my mind until only a couple of days ago. It's kind of embarrassing to admit; however, you'll be happy to know that I already voted....back in September! I honestly think that after I submitted my absentee ballot, I pushed this issue to the very back of my mind.
The only comment I would like to make on the matter is this:
I personally do not think it's going to make much of a difference who wins today. Yes, there will be some incremental changes to our economy and foreign policy; but they are likely to be modest, as they have been for the past several decades. What DOES matter is how we react as a country and as individuals. People will observe your reaction to the results and are likely to form their own opinions of you as a person. My challenge to you is not to let the results affect your relationships with others, or discourage you from being active the political process. I still believe the people have the power in this country, but we also have the responsibility to do what is right, regardless of our personal preferences.
May we continually pray that we are on God's side, not that he is on our's.
Take care.

No comments: