Saturday, July 12, 2008

More of the Same

Yesterday I arrived at my next stop and was delighted to find that my other cohort, Karl was still here. We split up after staying at our first JSS together, with him coming here and me going to the JSS that he will call home in a few days. We caught each other up on all the things we had experienced over the previous two days, and briefed each other on what to expect at our respective locations.
Since there wasn't much going at my current JSS, I was able to take advantage of the big screen TV and movie channel for several hours before doing my first night patrol. We were out for about 4 hours, most of it calm. The only exception came when we were briefed before going out that a red Volkswagon Passat barreled through an Iraqi Army checkpoint, and one Iraqi soldier was shot. Our initial intelligence report said the driver of the Passat was the shooter; however, we later found out that a sniper was the killer. Oddly enough, we came across two separate red Passats that matched the description we were given, and were forced to raid the houses of the owners. Both were innocent, but during times like these, it's imperative that we take all the necessary precautions. They were both understanding, but one can only imagine how scary it must be to have a herd of armed men entering your house unexpectedly.
Today was another pretty laid back day. I rode along on one patrol and only to dismount our vehicles once, for a brief period of time. However, instead of being able to come back and watch more movies, I had to sit in the dark (and heat) because our generators broke. Tough luck, huh?
Tomorrow it's on to my last stop before heading back to Camp Liberty. I'm hoping for a quick visit, with relatively low activity; but, hoping can only get you so far here in "The Box."
Take care.

1 comment:

self_inflicted_confusion said...

So when do you get to be MCO? LOL