Thursday, July 10, 2008

In the Midst of the Fight, Cont'd

Ok, so I told you a little bit about what I've been doing over the past few days out in our Area of Operations, and Wednesday was yet another fun-filled day of patrolling with a combat unit. One of the other LT's was kind enough to let me tag along with him as I continued to fulfill the SCO's policy for incoming Officers to the Squadron and I must say that he pulled out all the stops, just for me (not really)!
My day started off with going house to house through a neighborhood in Ghazalyia, knocking on doors and sitting down with locals to see if they had any information to give us, primarily with regard to the public services they were receiving. We were offered chia tea at almost every house. Later in the day, we drove to the location of a suspicious dump truck. A dump truck, you may ask? Read the following article in the Washington Post and you'll see why such a vehicle could spell disaster.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/09/AR2008070902396_2.html?hpid=topnews&sub=AR
Thankfully, the truck wasn't what we suspected and we moved on to our next stop, which included raiding a local farmhouse that at one time housed an insurgents weapons cache. All we found was a rusty old AK-47, with rounds. Nothing too serious. However, on our way back to the JSS, we spotted some wire running across the road in front of us that had been covered with dirt by hand. It turned out to be nothing serious, just an old mortar round with a wire attached to it. Nonetheless, we had to report it to higher and an Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team had to come out and blow it up on sight. Pretty neat little blast.
I arrived at the JSS for my first night and in the room next to me, a local Iraqi was being questioned about some of his recent activity. Just a normal day at the office... I guess!
Luckily, Thursday has been a pretty lowkey day with only one patrol. It's been pretty relaxing, with little in the way of excitement. I'm about to go watch some of my mechanics change a fuel injector pump. Score!
Anyways, hope you've enjoyed my updates thus far. I hope to drop many more!
Take care.

No comments: