Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hell Week

Well, I made it through the first week with me "new eyes." The surgery as a whole took no more than about 10 minutes. They instructed me to take a Valium about 20 minutes before going into the operating room, which was the pretty much the only medication I was given for the "operation." After laying down on the table, they clamped my eyelids back, squirted numbing drops in my eyes, as well as some cold water, before brushing my eyeball with some "gloop" (one of my favorite Bear Grylls words). Don't really know what it was for, but then they put the laser on my eye and the only thing I noticed was the smell of something burning...my eye!
In sum, the operation was the only painless part of the whole process. Most of this past week was spent in a sedated stooper, in which I slept, ate, took an array of eye drops and pills, and slept some more. Frankly, I don't remember much of the week, except for some intense pain in my eyes when the medication wore off. At present, my eyesight is about 20/50-60ish. It takes anywhere from a week to 3 months to fully develop my permanent vision, so I'm not expecting 20/20 for a while. However, I can definitely notice a clear difference from my previous vision. I go back to work on Monday, but has hardly been a "vacation."
BTW, I CAN SEE THE ALARM CLOCK CLEARLY NOW!!!
Take care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading that made my eyes water! Hope your post-op continues to go well.