Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Commuting Nightmare

Rather than delving into my daily schedule and giving a brief synopsis of what I'm doing, I feel it important to describe my daily commute. While one might think that living on post and being only about 5 miles from work means a very brief drive to work each day, you are SORELY mistaken and here's why:
For some crazy reason, the military decided long ago that it was "unproductive" and "too civilian" to workout in the afternoon, or at least begin work after the sun comes up. So, my mornings start around 0530 (or what I call 0 dark 30), with my first meeting of the day beginning at 0600. As previously stated, I only have to go about 5 miles, but that's on a two-lane road with the speed limit ranging from 25-35 mph. Moreover, I go through 5 traffic lights and one very...very...very congested 3 way stop. What is more, practically everybody from both the 1st and 2nd BCT (which are right next to each other) are on the road trying to get to work as well! As a result, the 20 minutes I allocate for my commute are at times insufficient.
After our first formation of the day at 0630, we conduct our daily PT routine until 0800. Although I'm not required to be back at work until 0930, roughly 30 minutes of the 90 minutes we get for personal hygiene and breakfast is spent trying to get back across the post to my house. Sure, I could take a shower in the gym (which we're not allowed to use during PT), but about 35% of the roughly 2,000 men in the brigade are also using it to get ready for work. So, it's a no-brainer that I come home and get ready for work!
While there are both advantages and disadvantages to living on post, one significant advantage is the ability to go home whenever the need arises. I spend my lunch break at home, as well as any down time I might have during the day. But regardless, I still have a nightmarish commute each morning!
Take care.

2 comments:

April Dunn said...

What up?? I forgot you still had to work down there. Ha.
How crazy is it that we talked everyday while you were in Iraq and like twice a month when you're home. Yadda yadda.
I love ya.
PS T is lovin the head lamp....only Mimi put it on her waist (yikes) and it's a little stretched out now! :)

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very good......