Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

For those of you who don't already know, in 2009 I was diagnosed with a somewhat rare thyroid disease. While most people with an irregular thyroid have either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, I unfortunately have both. It has been described to me as a chemical roller coaster that takes place in my body, where at one point my thyroid releases all the chemicals, while at others it won't release any at all. Despite the initial incident that led to my diagnosis (blacking out as I was climbing to the top of a twenty-foot rope), I haven't had any serious health issues. I've been taking a small dosage of medicine when in the hypothyroid stage and that's about it. It's honestly more of a nuisance than anything.
I am bringing this up today because I found out that if my thyroid levels are not normal, I will be deemed non-deployable. While this might be great news for some, I cannot shake the conviction I have felt to deploy again. Ever since leaving active duty with the 101st Airborne last year, at the same time my brothers-in-arms were heading to Afghanistan, I have felt a call to go again. However, this might not be possible if my thyroid is acting up again.
At this time, I'd like to ask all of you who read this to please pray for God's will to be done in the process. If I've done anything, it's follow what I believe to be His will for my life at this point. It tears me up inside to think that I'm going to leave my family for such a long time. I want so badly to be home with my wife and daughter, being the husband and father that I so desperately want to be. However, I also feel compelled to follow His will, regardless of what it may mean for my family. Christ has called us to love Him above all and follow Him, no matter the cost. I truly feel I am doing this by serving my country in war again. However, much like God called Abram to sacrifice his only son - and then rewarded him with a great nation of descendants for his willingness to do so - maybe I have accomplished all he set out for me to do, to be willing to go again. If that is all he wanted me to do, then I guess my reward is being united with my family again, for good.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I was diagnosed with low thyroid last 3 months. I struggled with fatigue, depression, hair fall, and swollen legs. Ever since I took desiccated bovine thyroid tablets , I felt better.