Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fort Dixin' It

Throughout my time preparing for this deployment, I have been to Fort Dix, NJ two separate times. The first I was up here for about 10 days and didn't really do anything productive. This time, I've only been up here for two days and still haven't done much. Now, I'm not saying that I come up here and just sit around doing nothing. Think of my time up here like going to the grocery store with a specific list; however, you walk through EVERY aisle, picking up stuff that's not on your list because you know at some point you might need that particular item. Sure, you might be able to go back to the store and get those items again, but you're at the store now, so why not get them?
The unfortunate thing about being up here is that there are over a hundred people needing to do the same thing, but they don't have the capacity to serve everyone at the same time, so they come up with menial classes or training for half the group to do just to keep them occupied while the other half is doing the important stuff. It's annoying, and at times insulting, but the truth is you never know when you might need the information. The real question is whether or not we'll be able to remember what we were taught when it counts!

No comments: