Monday, September 5, 2011

The Long(est) Goodbye

If someone told me at the beginning of this whole deployment process the first week of March that I would not be leaving until the first week of September, I probably would've asked that very person to punch me in the face. Getting my bell rung might at least distract me from the nauseous feeling in my stomach.
Since the start of this (not so) epic journey, I've been to Fort Jackson, Fort Bragg (where I got branched a Civil Affairs Officer) and Fort Dix 5 times. Yep, that's right. 5 times. Although 2 of the trips were personal trips back home to see my family, the only reason I got to take them was because somebody forgot to inform me and a few others that we were supposed to fly out on 22 August! In short, Fort Dix has become my own person Purgatory. I feel like I'm in a Monopoly game and Dix is the "Do Not Pass Go" block on the board. However, all of that will come to an end today (hopefully). Sometime this afternoon/evening, I'll be on a plane over the Atlantic. I've got a few layovers, but I expect to be in Afghanistan by the end of this week.
Although I might complain about this ridiculously long process, I honestly wouldn't change a thing. I've been blessed with some great, quality time with my family and friends. I have also done a lot of soul searching and discovered that the good Lord has some really interesting plans for me upon my return. Not exactly sure how everything will play out, but I'm sure it will be the beginning of another great chapter in my life. For now, all I have to do is come home!

No comments: